Monday, October 13, 2014

PREDESTINATION AND FREE WILL


PREDESTINATION AND FREE WILL

 

God is love. 1John chapter 4

2Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

 

  Still thinking. The past 9 days with the aid of Sunday School (SS) as stimulant.

  I like Bob, and think most people do. Bob trusted Christ as Redeemer later in life, and experienced radical life-change. Retired of late, he joined SS as a student.

  One of the things that makes our class interesting is the rotating teachers system. Bob’s insightful comments during discussion led to him being asked to take a turn teaching. He said no, then said yes.

  Did Bob consent because he could do no other because he was/is predestined to teach? Or did he prayerfully exercise free will? Or was it some sort of combination of both?

  Before I go further; I’ve heard and read the ancient predestination versus free will arguments for over 50 years. Somewhere along my timeline I concluded there is no “versus”. I believe it is as in today’s title I chose, “and”.

  I believe Adam and Eve were predestined by Jehovah God to live on as established, sinless et al. However, God being love, they were not created automatons with no course other than responding to commands. As great demonstration of His love He granted free will, the privilege of choice . . . including alternative option within range of physical and intellectual senses.

  Since their fall and eviction with dire consequences, I see predestination and choice as our continuing operation.

  This is obvious in God’s Record as we read tales of individual, family, group, and nation choosing for or against life. (Deut.30:15, 219; Jer.21:8 as examples)

  Consider John 12:32, Jesus explaining that if He be lifted up, He would draw all people to Him. Jesus was crucified and He does draw all to Him; predestination. But in exercising free will, many prefer darkness and remain eternally lost. (Jn.3:14-21; also consider 2Pet.2:9)

  God’s master plan is unalterably predestined. Our individual, family, group, national participation, or not, is optional. For example, consider the life of Christ; though they tried repeatedly only He could lay down His life.

  But what about the contemporary question about Bob?

  As Solomon concluded after much study and thought, Bob, as with all others of our ilk are predestined to serve God. At times He specifies whom (Moses, Gideon, Saul/Paul etc.) and doing what; even then leaving agreement or refusal theirs.

  Bob agreed and I among others am pleased and benefiting. Did I tell you his first topic was predestination and free will?  EBB4

 

PS. I’ve been serving God as DT student and writer most days for about 12 years. Predestined? I believe so, but I could have refused when that missionary bush pilot dropped the ministry in my lap.

No comments:

Post a Comment