Monday, October 6, 2014

TIPPLE & NIP, OR NOT


TIPPLE & NIP, OR NOT

Sunday, October 5, 2014

 

  Have you ever heard a preacher or teacher absolutely certain the forbidden fruit was grapes?

  As a young Christian some of the best preaching I heard was about total abstinence from alcoholic beverages. Later, when I got into personal serious study of God’s Word I discovered those passionate homilies were among the worst exegesis I ever heard. And now, though the Lord’s 75 or so warnings about alcohol are still in The Book, we live in an era when we hear little or nothing about abstinence or temperance

  I do not partake of alcohol at all. Is this because it is wrong for a disciple of Christ to drink? Yes and no.

  No, it is okay for a Christian to drink. Yes, I decided prior to trusting Jesus as Redeemer and Lord that it is wrong for me to imbibe alcohol. After trusting Jesus my decision remained, remains, unchanged. God’s Word played no part in my initial decision. Studying His Word on the topic has however reinforced my individual decision.

  My B.C. youthful decision involved several factors. First of all it was what I saw growing up. Secondly I saw money spent on alcohol as wasteful, gone down the toilet by bladder or bile. Thirdly there were things I’d rather invest in. Fourthly I didn’t need a drink to relax and/or be sociable. Fifthly, sobriety has great advantages as opposed to alcohol’s influence. And last but certainly not least, dear Ann would have killed me if I had taken up drinking.

  Early on in God’s Record we read a sad tale of drunkenness and how it tragically played out. (Gen.9:18-27) 

  Also early on in God’s Word we see alcohol is a permissible option. (Deut.14:25-26)

  More on this topic later. Meanwhile I leave you with the above listed sobering thoughts to consider.  EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment