Monday, March 21, 2016

YOU MAKE ME SO MAD!

YOU MAKE ME SO MAD!
Monday, March 21, 2016

Proverbs 1:22 How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?
1Corinthians [GW] 13 … Our knowledge is incomplete and our ability to speak what God has revealed is incomplete. But when what is complete comes, then what is incomplete will no longer be used. When I was a child, I spoke like a child, thought like a child, and reasoned like a child. When I became an adult, I no longer used childish ways. …
Galatians [GW] 5:22-26 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.
1Thessalonians [GW] 5:16-22 Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Whatever happens, give thanks, because it is God's will in Christ Jesus that you do this. Don't put out the Spirit's fire. Don't despise what God has revealed. Instead, test everything. Hold on to what is good. Keep away from every kind of evil.

  Environment, people and surrounding events, produce my emotions, period. Right?
  Once upon a time I believed this as truth. And why not, the teaching is constantly represented within sight and write.  But then one day I was struck by what God says on the topic in His Word and I saw how immaturely simple-minded I was to believe that which is contrary to healthy life.
  Fact is that no one can make me mad, or bitter, or love, or _______. I am responsible for my emotions. Only I can decide for or against personal anger, bitterness, love or any other emotion. This optioning is seen throughout God’s Word, especially well summarized for me in studying 1Corinthians 13.
  In discussing the truth I’ve learned a dramatic fellow interested in defense pointed out that a root of bitterness can spring up in individuals. This I do not deny, but as a farm boy and gardener I ask how does a root grow to diet? By cultivation! Then we read Hebrews 12:15 in context and see the choices listed having to do with denying bitterness a place to take root.
  In reading Galatians 5 I note that when contextually reading beyond “the fruit of the Spirit” very much involves disciplined decision making in order to realize and enjoy said fruit. Pondering further we see that nonexistent good fruit is result of suppressing God’s Holy Spirit.
  Again, can anyone make me angry, bitter, unloving? Not without my permission and sour agreement.
  Then there’s the business of reasonable worship, or not, to consider.

EBB 

No comments:

Post a Comment