Tuesday, July 12, 2016

CHESTNUTS BURNING IN LIFE'S OPEN FIRES

CHESTNUTS BURNING IN LIFE’S OPEN FIRES
Tuesday, July 12, 2016

2Timothy [ESV] 3:16-17; Hebrews [ESV] 12:1-8  All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work. . . . … since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted. In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons? "My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives." It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons.

  Joey “Jaws” consumed 70 hot dogs with buns. The runner up failed by eating 17 fewer. Accomplishing this feat, Jaws regained the Mustard Yellow Internal Belt. He had lost the coveted trophy last year after 8 straight yearly wins. The female division was taken by Miki Sudo gobbling 38 & 1/2 bunned wieners in one sixth of an hour.
  I like sausages over all other meats. Knowing this, my daughters provided 7 varieties at my retirement party, still a fond memory.
  Once upon a time in shallowness of youth I was irritated by news of men like Jaws and women like Miki. It’s not that I wanted to eat sausages by dozens, I just wanted to be more capable than noshing a few.
  After a few years as a John 1:12 son in God’s family, I read news reports such as the one above and thought “My, my, how wonderfully I’ve matured beyond such distracting silly desires.” . . . and then as my Father does, by the mirror of His Word, held within me by His Holy Spirit, shows me I have not.
  Hot dog anyone? (Make mine grilled, not boiled.)

EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment