Tuesday, July 5, 2016

DUH

DUH
Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Matthew [ESV] 24:42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.

  Have you ever had a “Duh.” Moment, or maybe two, or three, o r ….?
  I had one this morning.
  Typically I know what I’m to study, ponder, and write due to questions received, comments direct or overheard, pastor’s sermon, an essay or book, and occasionally unexplainable. Rarely am I at a loss for a topic. This morning I was.
  Noshing breakfast of banana, blueberry muffin, coffee, and required pharmaceuticals . . . the answer came: There are form letters that I’ve put together that I use in jail and prison ministry. Yesterday I redacted and sent “SERENITYLetter” to a grandson. A few minutes ago I realized non-inmates could benefit from my described Romans 12:1-3 repentance.
  Read on.
EBB4

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Monday, July 04, 2016

Dear grandson _____,
  Life includes many troublesome things. Some not of our making. Many of our making, largely as the ripples go out as when a stone is thrown on a pond. (On occasion for me it has been a boulder.) Mine problems mostly have been the latter . . . until my sense became sensibility.
  God’s Word living (Lord Jesus Christ, Jn.1:1; 1Jn.5:7 et al) and written (Bible, 1Pet.1:23-25; 2:2-8) made the biggest difference in my life and still does.
  A major step was/is accepting He is Sovereign and has a master plan that has not/is not/will not fail . . . and acknowledging His plan is not all-about-me nor does it depend on me (Est.4:14) . . . and though trusting Him unto eternal life . . . knowing that I am “sealed” for all eternity (2Cor.1:22-23; Eph.1:13; 4:30) . . . I am expendable (Job 13:15; Ps.44:22; Heb.11:36-38 et al) (Does not mean I will be.) . . . my opportunity being as a willing participant of His plan, or not (1Cor.3:1-23). This latter point being first-of-all to march according to His general orders spelled for each and every one of His soldiers. While doing thusly we may be called upon to do something briefly (Esther et al) or long term (Moses et al).
  The Christian is no different than the unbeliever in that we can negate the freedom (Jn.8:32, 36) and peace (Jn.14:27; 16:33) God provides by allowing ourselves to be frustrated by troubles in life. We alone decide one way or the other. No one, not even God, can make us do one or the other.
  Another strengthening fact is knowing and accepting that He does not give me more than I can bear (1Cor.10:13). I have in the past taken on far more than I can bear, but even then I have the option of casting all resultant angst upon Him (1Pet.5:7)
  Also there are two passages of Scripture in particular that played a large part in turning my personal repentance. They are directly connected to the repentance Paul wrote of in Romans 12:1-3. I printed them on 3x5 cards, carried in my pocket at work and elsewhere, pulled them out as needed and read. I urge you to do the same. (Enclosed 2 pocket cards in this mailing.)

Philippians [KJV] 4:4-9 Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice.
Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

Philippians [GW] 4:4-9  Always be joyful in the Lord! I'll say it again: Be joyful!
Let everyone know how considerate you are. The Lord is near.
Never worry about anything. But in every situation let God know what you need in prayers and requests while giving thanks.
Then God's peace, which goes beyond anything we can imagine, will guard your thoughts and emotions through Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers and sisters, keep your thoughts on whatever is right or deserves praise: things that are true, honorable, fair, pure, acceptable, or commendable.
Practice what you've learned and received from me, what you heard and saw me do. Then the God who gives this peace will be with you.
Another major help was and continues to be the complete Serenity Prayer which I consider very much grounded in God’s perceptual provisions. I urge that this too be kept available close at hand. I do so.

God,
Grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the Courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardship as the pathway to peace.
Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it.
Trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life,
and supremely happy with Him forever in the next.
Amen.

Additionally there are a number of books that were and continue to be life-changing for me and many others: BLUE DENIM AND LACE, by Jack Hyles, which we will read together some time in the future.
BOUNDARIES, by Henry Cloud, which hopefully you will also read together in the future.
I could name more but these were outstanding in effectual unto my repentance.

Love you.
To serve Him all my days.

Granpa

No comments:

Post a Comment