Thursday, June 8, 2017

INVESTIGATING PASTURES

INVESTIGATING PASTURES
Thursday, June 08, 2017

Psalm 23 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

  Among the problems of Bible study is that we don’t always seriously do so. Not doing so effects our relationship with God and people, for as we ignorantly assume so do we frame Him, self, other people, and life and death.
  Even when investing time and effort we may mistakenly associate descriptions in Scripture with our immediate existent knowledge. The much beloved 23rd Psalm is an example of this.
  When we read, hear, or say “green pastures” what do we visualize?
  Past tense I pictured our farm pastures verdant after a spring rain. Pastures well watered that fed one grown cow per acre or less. Our flock of 40 sheep with lambs was kept in a pasture of a few acres.
  “Your vision is geographically limited. You need to research the agriculture where David wrote the Psalm.” urged one of my mentors.
  After investigation I saw the pasture of the 23rd Psalm as a far different place. The pastures referred to were and still are sparse on greenery. They are places where if cattle could thrive on rocks, stones, and grit they would do well. They require considerable movement to stay nourished!
  Now how do we picture the restorative rest God provides? How do we see the rest He sometimes may compel us to take? Considering sickness or injury or fatigue or aging or other . . . how now may we see it? As loss or gain?  As a place where we not only refresh but may serve in ways we never considered before?
EBB4


PS. To the inmates reading this: Could your place be “maketh me to lie in green pastures … still waters” that you very much needed?

No comments:

Post a Comment