Monday, June 19, 2017

PETER INTERRUPTED

PETER INTERRUPTED
Monday, June 19, 2017

Psalm 32:8-9 I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye. Be ye not as the horse, or as the mule, which have no understanding: whose mouth must be held in with bit and bridle, lest they come near unto thee.
Matthew 11:28-30 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

  Peter’s story is different than Moses, Gideon, or Paul. Another interrupted life, yes, but often so. Two of the times in particular stir my attention.
  First the unexpected sudden invitation: From that time Jesus began to preach, saying, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." While walking by the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon (who is called Peter) and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea, for they were fishermen. And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." Immediately they left their nets and followed him.” (Mt.4:17-20)   
  Then later one of a number of interruptions to his mindset: ”… Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour: And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance, And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth: Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air. And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat. But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean. And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common. This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.” (Acts 10; Mt.16:3-26; Jn.13:54-9 and others)
  The first interruption he responded to without resistant argument. My second attention getter being but one of many of afterward Peter’s will versus God’s will.
  Peter’s life was a dramatic roller coaster of emotions. It took time before understanding unto the final exchanging of Peter’s preferred yoke for His yoke. Pondering Peter’s story prods me to think “What of my shoulders this day?”

EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment