Sunday, June 24, 2018

DOTH THIS OFFEND THEE?


DOTH THIS OFFEND THEE?

   Romans [GW] 12:1 Brothers and sisters, in view of all we have just shared about God's compassion, I encourage you to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, dedicated to God and pleasing to him. This kind of worship is appropriate for you. Don't become like the people of this world. Instead, change the way you think. Then you will always be able to determine what God really wants-what is good, pleasing, and perfect. Because of the kindness that God has shown me, I ask you not to think of yourselves more highly than you should. Instead, your thoughts should lead you to use good judgment based on what God has given each of you as believers.
   1Corinthians chapter 13 … When I was a child, I spoke like a child, thought like a child, and reasoned like a child. When I became an adult, I no longer used childish ways. …

  The matter of taking or giving offense is in Old and New Testament passages, actions taken and reactions thereafter. I took today’s title from John chapter 6 where Jesus spoke of it.
  Ours is considered an easily offended culture, especially the latter generations . . . so say experts and otherwise observers. Is this the actual truth or is it another case of media highlighting that which has been, is, existent? I don’t know. What I do know is about my offense quotient. It is not of magnitude it once was.
  What exactly diminished my offense quotient?
  A word (offend/offense) study in God’s Word. When I reviewed the topic Biblically I was confronted with the truth . . . convicted of my lack of responsibility as a person claiming the name of Christ. I was stumbling over my prideful reactive emotions allowing myself to be pillaged, sidestepping responsible personal examination and/or denying empathetic forgiveness.  Once again I had to realign to practice true worship pleasing God. This being primary basis and a steadier gait with a more stable view with wiser decisions is a valuable pleasant benefit.
EBB4   Sunday, June 24, 2018

PS. This is another case of Grandmother McGee and family telling me as a boy “Those that lose their temper lose the argument.” I took offense at their telling me this.  Much later this man found the basis in God’s Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment