Wednesday, March 20, 2019

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR


CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR
Wednesday, March 20, 2019

  Grandmother McGee often told little Sunny (me) she believed that at birth I was vaccinated with a phonograph needle . . . and, that with all my expressed cravings I should be careful about what I wished for. Later I realized “How true!”
  In spite of repeatedly experiencing God’s deliverance the Israelites wished for the wrong thing . . . and got it!
  Recorded in Numbers 14:1-2 we see their emotionally hysterical wishing: After the Israelites heard negative reporting from ten of the 12 male spies that had explored Canaan, the people wailed and moaned all night, and complained to Moses and Aaron, "We wish we had died in Egypt or somewhere out here in the desert!” Not bad enough of itself, they included blame shifting along with discussing democracy as the better path. (Note verses 1:4, 10a)
  Reading a little further we see Jehovah’s giving them their wish: “As I live, says Jehovah, as you have spoken in My ears, so I will do to you. Your dead bodies shall fall in this wilderness …” (MKJV 14:28-29)
  What is it we yearn for? Healing that brings with it a longer life, wealth that entails huge responsibilities, or possibly some other personal delight hankered for? Let’s be very very careful. We may get what we wish for! (Isaiah 38:1-6; 39:1-6) 
EBB4


No comments:

Post a Comment