Sunday, August 15, 2021

A TRUE DEACON

 A TRUE DEACON

1Timothy 3:8-13  Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre; Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience. And let these also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless. Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things. Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well. For they that have used the office of a deacon well purchase to themselves a good degree, and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus. 

  There was a young man in a church I attended who seemed to be the perfect example of the attributes described in 1Timothy 3:8-13. The pastor talked with him about becoming a deacon and after a few minutes he asked “Brother B. would that mean I’d have to give up my Skoal?”

  Brother B. told him to pray about it and make his own decision and then let him know what he decided. Several weeks later during congregational testimony time at midweek prayer meeting, the young man stood and with head bowed he told us, “I’d like to be a deacon and I’m tryin’ to quit usin’ tobacco, but it’s awful hard – so I need you to pray for me!”

  He did win his battle! To me he is a true example of what a deacon should be.

Leslie Nivens (12/12/1928-3/1/2020)

No comments:

Post a Comment