Tuesday, May 13, 2014

DECISIONS


DECISIONS, DECISIONS, DECISIONS!
Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Colossians 3:15-25 … in singleness of heart, fearing God. 23 And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men; 24 knowing that from the Lord you shall receive the reward of the inheritance. For you serve the Lord Christ. 25 But he who does wrong shall receive justice for the wrong which he did, and there is no respect of persons.
Psalm 119:104-105 Through Your Commandments I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way. 105 Your Word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path.
Proverbs 3:3-7; 15:21-22 Let not mercy and truth forsake you; tie them around your neck; write them upon the tablet of your heart; 4 and you shall find favor and good understanding in the sight of God and man. 5 Trust in Jehovah with all your heart, and lean not to your own understanding. 6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. 7 Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear Jehovah and depart from evil. … 15:21 Folly is joy to him who is without any wisdom, but a man of understanding walks uprightly. 22 Without wisdom, purposes are defeated, but by many wise men they are established. 

  “’My parents, for many years have been telling me “You should be a corrections officer. I bet you’d love it and you’d get to do your specialty, boss people around.”  I just let it go in one ear and out the other.   
  For several years the closest thing I could legally do is grade inmate’s Bible lessons. It’s a neat way to experience how they feel, what they are going through, what they say about how their lives were before they truly knew God and how they plan to change their ways for the better. I correct any wrong answers and add some encouraging words to keep then going, not just feeling like a complete failure. When they do get all the answers right, I make sure to praise them for their hard work.
  When I was 15 my grandmother came to visit us. My father scheduled a jail tour to show his mother where he works as a corrections officer. My mother and 18 year old brother also tagged along. I on the other hand had to stay behind because you had to be at least 16.
  My 16th birthday came. I was more than eager to go on tour to see where my daddy worked. I asked my dad at least once a week, “When will I get to go on my tour? You told me that when I turned 16 you’d take me. Well here I am 16 and ready to go!” He would always have the same reply “I have to put in that I have a request to give a tour, and then it needs to get accepted.”
  Finally, two months before my 17th birthday, I got my tour! My mother’s lady friend and my best friend went with us. We got inside and my friend had a rip in his pants right at the knee, so they almost didn’t let him in. We said there’s a stapler on the desk. They let it slide since it wasn’t too big of a deal and it was below the knee. Our lady friend was wearing a white suit and to avoid exclusion for violating dress code I was wearing the biggest baggiest sweat pants I own. The tour begins.
  Dad takes us on 3 levels of the building. We pass 4 of the bathrooms; dozens of jail cells, unused housing, staff break room and gym, two basketball courts and the kitchen where the trustees, who get paid a very small amount to work there, make the inmate meals every day. Every time we passed by the cells, all the inmates would stare out at me. Our male friend kept saying it was him they were staring at, but we both knew it was me. Once the tour was over I was happy. I had finally gotten my tour and was able to say “The jail would not be a good job for me.” I jumped way too easily.’” August 2012 Omaha’s Douglas County Jail can without crowding house over 1200 inmates. It is a high security facility larger than many prisons.’”   Written per a homeschool assignment given by Granpa on Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Made any life decisions lately?  EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment