Thursday, May 29, 2014

THINGS LOOK DIFFERENT TODAY


THINGS LOOK DIFFERENT TODAY
Thursday, May 29, 2014

1Corinthians 13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

  Have you yet noticed how different things look from day to day, or even more frequently?
  Oh yes, people, plants, situations, lots of things change all the time.
  Yesterday, Penny, commenting on the matter, wrote "’The only constant we find in any cultural phenomena is change.’"  That's about all I learned in college, Human Geography.  Perhaps it's merely the only thing I took away from college that I thought worth the trouble of carrying.” A major change of vision those decades ago.
  At age 27 I began seeing life-changes, mine and others, increasingly from a Biblical perspective. Repentance, rethinking that produces new and re-doing, is one of the threaded themes embodied in God’s Word.
  Possibly you can beyond much used 1Corinthians 12 & 13 and Romans 12:1-3 share a few other pertinent passages for Saturday DT FORUM?
  Or, better yet, like Penny you will share testimony of historical change in your sight? Please do.
  As you know, I prefer reading KJV. In past it wasn’t just preference, I was “King James only!!!!!” However, as I was introduced to hermeneutics and other useful tools facilitating Bible study, this changed. Consequently I was increasingly edified. One thing I discovered was not that KJV is terribly flawed, but that the very KJV language I love reading contains English and phraseology that has different meaning today.
  One of my first was KJV 1Thessalonians 5:14 “Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.” Reading it I thought Paul was exhorting us to be loving and compassionate toward the educable slow et al, which of course we should. But it is not the emphasis.
  Now read same verse in today’s English, God’s Word (GW) version: “We encourage you, brothers and sisters, to instruct those who are not living right, cheer up those who are discouraged, help the weak, and be patient with everyone.”
  Then there is Luke 13:1-5 “There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things? I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem? I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.” Easily enough understood if knowing the Greek meaning of “repent””, but if not left believing it means “I better stop boozing etc.!”; This being interpretation I heard years ago.
  Now read GW contemporary English: “At that time some people reported to Jesus about some Galileans whom Pilate had executed while they were sacrificing animals. Jesus replied to them, "Do you think that this happened to them because they were more sinful than other people from Galilee? No! I can guarantee that they weren't. But if you don't turn to God and change the way you think and act, then you, too, will all die. What about those 18 people who died when the tower at Siloam fell on them? Do you think that they were more sinful than other people living in Jerusalem? No! I can guarantee that they weren't. But if you don't turn to God and change the way you think and act, then you, too, will all die."
  What with the many other new insights this day, this lesson is enough to digest this day. While I’m waiting I’m going to have the same old comfortable familiar breakfast.  EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment