Monday, May 19, 2014

DISCIPLESHIP JOURNEY: UNSELFISH SERVICE


DISCIPLESHIP JOURNEY: UNSELFISH SERVICE
Monday, May 19, 2014

The following is written from notes taken and thoughts provoked during Pastor Paul Marine’s Sunday sermon. 

Philippians 2:1-11 If there is therefore any encouragement in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any tendernesses and mercies, 2 then fulfill my joy, that you may be like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord and of one mind. 3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than themselves. 4 Do not let each man look upon his own things, but each man also on the things of others. 5 For let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God, 7 but made Himself of no reputation, and took upon Himself the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in fashion as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. 9 Therefore God has highly exalted Him, and has given Him a name which is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of heavenly ones, and of earthly ones, and of ones under the earth; 11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

  A favorite letter in recorded Scripture is the one to the Corinthians as it sometimes sounds like the corner congregation, with the wonderful encouragement to overcome all friction by unselfish service in “… whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.”
  I well remember the immaturity of peevishness at lack of recognition and/or recompense, and particularly so when someone else took or was given credit for something I did. (I also remember rejoicing when someone else received credit for something I did wrong, especially if they’d done me wrong to begin with or stole good credit earlier.)
  Moving away from this troublesome anxiety was a gradual process. Then one day Bill Harrington mentioned to me “It’s surprising how much more can be accomplished if you don’t expect credit.”
  At this point Pastor Paul had us look around at our fellow parishioners and consider opportunities for unselfish service . . . and I thought of those I saw that without applause did and continue to do much unselfish service.
  My thoughts then wandered back to Pastor Josh last week in his sermon talking about “male posturing” recorded in Mark 10:35-45, Jesus’ response that we can learn much from.
  “Life isn’t all about you!” said Pastor Paul. (Was it my imagination or did he say it to me? At any rate I started taking notes again.)
  With this Pastor went over Philippians 2:1-11. (I now stop typing and reread the passage carefully and am impressed with my needing to forfeit more of self.)
  “What is our attitude compared to Jesus?!” Pastor asks and encourages us to also consider the many ways God the Father has and continues to serve His creation.
  Then he illustrates: Man continually strives to climb the ladder of life, whereas Jesus came down the ladder. (Heb.2:9)
  I silently ask myself which way are my feet on the rungs?
  Pastor leaves us with the constant challenge to live unselfishly, and do so with conscious effort this week.  EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment