Thursday, May 22, 2014

RIGHT FROM WRONG


RIGHT FROM WRONG
Thursday, May 22, 2014

  In the 60’s Pastor Don McKnight was the first person I heard talk about “situation ethics”; deciding what is right or wrong action to take depending on present circumstances. This meaning decisions and action depends to a great extent on personal or group risk, potential or probable gain or loss, and the matter of current convenience versus inconvenience. Of course the practice very much having to do with “The end justifying the means.”
  Never one to take you into the forest without showing the way out, he always explained that the Bible, God’s Word, is the only absolute complete guide for truth in living.
  About a hundred years prior to Pastor Don’s words another great man commented on the topic, saying, "In regard to this Great Book, I have but to say, it is the best gift God has given to man. All the good the Savior gave to the world was communicated through this book. But for it we could not know right from wrong. All things most desirable for man's welfare, here and hereafter, are to be found portrayed in it."
  Most of us haven’t pulpit, will never pronounce from place in or associated with White House, but nonetheless we too have sphere of ears and degree of influence. Though we may deny or downplay quibble this personal truth, it is fact leaving us with challenge to exercise rightly or wrongly in our arena of effect.
  Joshua, during a time of situational ethics some 3,400 years earlier than Honest Abe, exercised rightly when he publicly announced “…as for me and my house, we will serve Jehovah.” (Jos.24)
  Centuries later, psalmists, using different wording, stated the same position, “Blessed are the upright in the way, who walk in the Law of Jehovah. Blessed are they who keep His testimonies, and who seek Him with all the heart. They also do no iniquity; they walk in His ways. You have commanded us to keep Your Commandments carefully. O that my ways were fixed to keep Your Precepts! Then I shall not be ashamed, when I have respect to all Your Commandments. I will praise You with uprightness of heart when I have learned Your righteous judgments. I will keep Your Precepts; do not forsake me completely. With what shall a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed according to Your Word. With all my heart I have sought You; do not let me wander from Your Commandments. I have hidden Your Word in my heart, so that I might not sin against You.” (Ps.119)
  Later a writer of Proverbs penned with clarity “There is a way which seems right to a man, but the end of it is the ways of death.” (14:12; 16:25)
  Since Eden’s situation, we are constantly faced with the same choice of doing right or wrong in the midst of challenging situations. As I consider my past history I clearly see inconsistency. I also see considerable progress in living true. Again, I know I in myself will always be flawed until death and resurrection are complete. Until then I’ve decided to continue endeavoring to increasingly hide His Word in my heart so that I might not sin against Him . . . or those I love . . . or my fellow man, including you.
  Are you with Him in this?  EBB4

 

No comments:

Post a Comment