Sunday, May 18, 2014

OUR DAILY BREAD


OUR DAILY BREAD
Sunday, May 18, 2014

Psalm 32:8-9 I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye. 9 Be ye not as the horse, or as the mule, which have no understanding: whose mouth must be held in with bit and bridle, lest they come near unto thee.

  “Our Daily Bread is a devotional calendar-style booklet published by RBC [Radio Bible Class] Ministries in nearly 40 languages. The booklet is one of the most widely read Christian devotionals in circulation today. The booklet was first published in April 1956, and includes writing about the Bible and insights into Christian living. The booklet's title originates from a line of the Lord's Prayer, a popular Christian prayer.
  The contents include a Bible passage, and a relevant article for each day of the year. It is written by a different author each day, and also features an additional bible passages for people following RBC's "Bible In One Year" reading program.”
  “RBC is a Christian organization founded by Dr. Martin De Haan in 1938. It is based in Grand Rapids, Michigan, with over 300 employees. It produces several devotional publications, radio and television programs.”  Source: Wikipedia.org

  Jesus taught “It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.” (Mt.4:4; Lk.4:4)
  Bud Bond, my first Christian mentor, emphasized the essentiality of reading and studying and then applying the Word of God. In kindly fashion he was relentless in doing so. (Bud also lived example in less than genteel rough and tumble foundry we worked in.) One of his primary tools was daily questions on what I had read, what I understood it to mean, and what I was personally doing to make it relevant in all areas of my life.
  Immediately after I initially agreed with the Lord Bud started me listening to RBC, reading and discussing OUR DAILY BREAD subject matter and the many wonderful RBC condensed booklets on a variety of Bible topics.
  Another thing Bud taught me in my infancy is “You need a life verse.”
  I explained to him I was not proficient at memorization, in fact failing in rote elementary schooling. (A popular methodology when I was a boy.) He again emphasized that edification is more important than simply knowing something, and then humorously from memory quoted 2Timothy 3:7 with the charge that the Lord doesn’t just want us to just know, but be nourished and grow.
  My first life verse, Romans 5:8, lay emphasis on God loves me. I didn’t memorize it, but I did remember it verbatim from first reading. Acceptance of this truth was wonderful. Waking up to the relevance in daily life was more of a chore, still is at times.
  Then, as some do after first bloom, I became resistant to a few things God expects of us. Then one day as I was reluctantly reading Psalms, 32:8 & 9, my much-needed life verses jumped out at me. For the KJV challenged, remembering that understanding is more important than James’ patois, I present NLT version: The Lord says, “I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you. Do not be like a senseless horse or mule that needs a bit and bridle to keep it under control.”
  Irving “Bud” Garfield Bond emulated His Lord those many decades ago. As an impassioned obedient disciple, Bud instilled in me a 2Timothy 2:1-2 attitude to do the same. I am thankful for Bud and my other mentors and all God has given and continues to give. Will there be anyone to remember you in the same way?  EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment