Friday, May 2, 2014

LIFE AS A SAINT: FREEDOM!


LIFE AS A SAINT: FREEDOM!
Friday, May 02, 2014

  Yesterday I posed the question “For you, what is it like being a saint?” So far a few have responded. As usual I will publish all responses in Saturday DT FORUM. (Only e-mail subscribers see DT FORUM. Blog and Facebook readers do not. For them to receive the Saturday FORUM, they must contact me at ebullock4th@cox.net )
  Chaplain Tom Beatty (Also a pal.) responded to the question and I responded to his comments. Wanting blog & Facebook readers to see our conversation, here it is:

“Ed, It is often frustrating, because my well-meaning Christian brothers seem determined to make sure I know I'm really only a sinner saved by grace.  But, I know better - I'm a Saint!  Hallelujah!  I am justified!  I'm as righteous as Christ!  Yes, I do (too often) grieve God by sinning, but all through it, He maintains my justified status as one of His saints.  Thank you Father! . . . I've had this conversation with umpteen Pastors over the years, the most recent just two days ago on Tuesday evening.  A Pastor remarked that one's identity in Christ is the most frequent issue he encounters in counseling.  (In silence, I heartily agreed, having that experience over the last 25-30 years.)  He asked why is it such a common issue among Christians?  The conversation was among a group of Christian leaders, and I (amazingly) kept my mouth shut while five or six others answered his question.  The Pastor then looked to me, and I answered that perhaps it was because we're constantly being told in church that we're a bunch of sinners.  I received a very awkward look, and the Pastor rapidly moved the conversation along, pretty much ignoring me.  After the time together, as the group broke up and the Pastor & I were the only ones left, I brought up the subject, explaining to him my comment - that I did not, and the New Testament did not, look upon me as a sinner, but as a saint.  He "countered" that we Christians are all sinners, saved by grace.  While this is surely true, our identity is no longer a sinner.  Forgiven sinners are saints, not sinners!  Does it make a difference, or is it just a matter of semantics?  I reminded the Pastor of his former statement:  that one's identity in Christ is the most frequent issue he encounters in counseling.  I maintain that it does indeed make a difference, and that I believe one's identity in Christ is the most important issue in the Christian faith! Tom”

One circle that tended to go round and round on topics such as this thought Christians should carry onus of guilt as motivation. I did not and still do not, for like you I believe what God says; I am free. They thought me a greater sinner for believing this and saying so. Ed”

  Knowing the truth, we are indeed freed of the bondage of guilt, and are to live accordingly! If we do not, it is a matter of our choosing, not of His provision. (Jn.8:32; Rom.6:18-22; 8:2; Gal.5:1; 1Pet.2:16)  EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment