Sunday, February 22, 2015

A CHILD'S DICTIONARY

A CHILD’S DICTIONARY
Sunday, February 22, 2015

  In school I always received high grades for writing. I did however get red marks on texts for a childhood habit that began not with pencil or pen, but soon after I began talking.
  Grandmother McGee swore I must have been vaccinated at birth with a phonograph needle, plus sternly warning “I know what you mean, but that’s not a word in the dictionary.” With my response being “But it’s in my dictionary!”
  I made up words; words that summarized meaning for me. I wasn’t alone in this as other playmates did the same.
  In spite of Grandmother’s warnings, I never broke the habit. One of my grownup favorites is “followship”, which to me is inseparable from “fellowship”, making point as it conveys meaning plainly.
  Followship is something I think about every day because we are always following something or someone; and in our followship there are others following us. A serious thought indeed.
  Jesus spoke of and invited followship. Here is list of KJV verses that include His “follow me”.

“And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” (Mt.4:19)
“But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.” (Mt.8:22)
“And as Jesus passed forth from thence, he saw a man, named Matthew, sitting at the receipt of custom: and he saith unto him, Follow me. And he arose, and followed him.” (Mt.9:9)
“Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.” (Mt.16:24)
“Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.” (Mt.16:24)
“And as he passed by, he saw Levi the son of Alphaeus sitting at the receipt of custom, and said unto him, Follow me. And he arose and followed him.” (Mk.2:14; Lk.5:27)
“And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.” (Mk.8:34)
“Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.” (Mk.10:21)
“And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.” (Lk.9:23)
“And he said unto another, Follow me. But he said, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.” (Lk.9:59)
“Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.” (Lk.18:22)
“The day following Jesus would go forth into Galilee, and findeth Philip, and saith unto him, Follow me.” (Jn.1:43)
“My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me” (Jn.10:27)
“If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.” (Jn.12:26)
“Simon Peter said unto him, Lord, whither goest thou? Jesus answered him, Whither I go, thou canst not follow me now; but thou shalt follow me afterwards.” (Jn.13:36)
“This spake he, signifying by what death he should glorify God. And when he had spoken this, he saith unto him, Follow me.” (Jn.21:19)
 
  This day, as with every other, we will hear many beckonings; an unavoidable situation. But it not at all the question, it being which “follow me” will we hear and heed? Let us chose daily, carefully, for the path does go on forever. (Jn.14:6)  EBB4


PS: Did or do some of you make up words? Your children? Grandchildren? If so, please share for all to enjoy in Saturday DT FORUM.

No comments:

Post a Comment