Monday, November 9, 2015

DIVERGENCE

DIVERGENCE
Monday, November 09, 2015

Ecclesiastes [MKJV] 12:11-14  The words of the wise are like goads; yes, their collected words are like nails driven home; they are given from one Shepherd. And further, by these, my son, be warned: The making of many books has no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh. Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter. Fear God, and keep His commandments. For this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it is good, or whether evil.

  Our local assembly finally took note of indicators that we are seriously in trouble. Members leaving with most tight-lipped as to why, dropping attendance and income being the most obvious to one and all, but as with diseased leaves on a tree, there are root problems that require remedy.
  After winning the War of Independence colonial delegates met to establish a Constitution. They immediately fell into disagreement and bickering that threatened to destroy the fledgling American nation. Benjamin Franklin, founding father 81 years of age, rose to his feet and reminded the delegates of their frequent constant praying for God’s intercession during the revolution against Great Britain. The delegates then prayed – and went on to agree on the concise 16 pages of our USA Constitution that is admired and desired ever since. (A few days ago I was in Philadelphia and reminded of this.)
  Fellow travelers in our local assembly, Pastors Paul and Scott, have been encouraging us to pray daily for Benson Baptist Church.
  “Pray for our church.” sounds very much non-specific. I do not believe it is their intent.
  I believe our pastors are assigning us as mature followers of Christ to indeed call upon Jehovah God Almighty on behalf of BBC, but also to discern our individual personal responsibility in contributing unto healing and revitalization.
  I have asked our Lord to intercede as only He can and I believe He is willing if we are corporately submissive to that which He reveals to us.
  I have struggled with the personal responsibility question. (Especially so in consideration of my current limitations.) Awaking yesterday morning the answer was as plain as the white frost on my neighbor’s black roof. Viewing as I ate breakfast the frost faded gradually . . . as did my assurance.
  One thing that was then clear was to skip BBC Sunday attendance and pray. Prayerfully reviewing the morning event I realized full assurance as to direction.
  I’ll soon be nearly as aged as old Ben. I’ve been at BBC for about 20 years.  My church and para-church participation has been constant since trusting Christ as Savior at age 27. Added up it comes to being an elder with knowledge, experience, and credibility.   
  Hence I lay claim to daily hereafter on some points very boldly writing to you because of the grace given me by God. (Rom.15:15; 2Tim.2:2)
Sincerely,
Edwin B. Bullock 4th (EBB4)

No comments:

Post a Comment