Wednesday, October 26, 2016

WHO IS MY NEIGHBOR?

WHO IS MY NEIGHBOR?
Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Matthew 22 … when the Pharisees had heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they were gathered together. Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
John 1:1-5 In the beginning was the Word Logos], and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
Hebrews 3:12-16; 10:22-24 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God. But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end; While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation. For some, when they had heard, did provoke: howbeit not all that came out of Egypt by Moses. … Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;) And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
1Peter 3:15-16 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.

  With much obvious heart-felt passion Pastor Scott presented Sunday morning on the topic Who Are Your Neighbors? I consider it his best delivery so far. Had he not included 1John 4:7-12 I could have thought he was only talking about 46th & Tucker.
  Street-wise I know my neighbors pretty well, and they do know me, but pew-wise it is not so.
  First of all, what do they believe? Should I assume that all who seat upon the same woodwork as me trust in the Word, Logos? (Jn.1:1) I should not, nor should they of me.
  From my pew neighbors I have heard few give verbal testimony of their trust in and reliance upon the Word. Yes, a few voluntarily, and several more at my inquiry, and among those most using “church” not “Christ” central in their response; they emphasizing the importance of the local assembly in their life.
  Under conviction from hearing and further pondering Pastor Scott’s discourse I realize I have been remiss as an elder. I know more about neighborhood religious beliefs than from the lips of most individuals I’ve regularly sat among for over 20 years on Sunday mornings, potlucks, et al.
  Consequently I have determined that, beginning with my local home church, I will in obedience and the desire for mutual edification more often ask for spiritual testimony of how and why from individuals. (1Pet.3:15-16)
EBB4
 


No comments:

Post a Comment