Friday, October 28, 2016

WITNESS, BUT WHAT TO SAY?

WITNESS, BUT WHAT TO SAY?
Friday, October 28, 2016

Psalm [1833 Webster] 35:27-28 Let them shout for joy, and be glad, that favor my righteous cause: yes, let them say continually, Let the LORD be magnified, who hath pleasure in the prosperity of his servant. And my tongue shall speak of thy righteousness and of thy praise all the day long.
Psalm 40:1-3 To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined to me, and heard my cry. He brought me up also out of a horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise to our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD.
Psalm 103:1-2, 21-22 A Psalm of David. Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: … Bless ye the LORD, all ye his hosts; ye ministers of his, that do his pleasure. Bless the LORD, all his works in all places of his dominion: bless the LORD, O my soul.

  Riverdee Jordan (sp) lived in the woods. To get to his home in a small one room shed sans utilities you walked a dirt path to visit or make use of his handsaw sharpening services. Fifty cents or a few pennies more got you the same fine job of it. He was an old man and had been a local “drunk” by that era’s standard.
  Riverdee lived simply, a fine Christian example in the community of which many looked upon him as an old fool. However, in his love for his redeemer, Lord Jesus Christ, he is a blessing to this man and others that heard him hold forth during testimony time at the Evangelical Methodist Church, Dublin MD. Not so eloquent of tongue, but definitely from heart as he spoke of his deliverance by the love of God . . . most often quoting Scripture passages as his very own, Psalm 40:1-3 his most frequent witness.
  Do we need to be a born-again drunk, rock star, actor, sports figure, et al, to have testimony worth sharing? No, for all of God’s John 1:12 family have the story of His love and grace in their life. Lack of story worth telling is not the problem. Reticence, timidity, reluctance is.
  But what to say?!
  In my history, my exceptional caring mentors provided the following helpful PERSONAL TESTIMONY GUIDELINE SHEET (Revised 10/28/16. EBB4):

I.                    Things to remember
1.       Testimony is to glorify God
2.       Testimony is a evangelistic tool
3.       Write or outline your story
4.       Then hone it into a clear forceful testimony
5.       Iron out the rough spots
6.       Omit trite platitudes and clichés
7.       Emphasize the positive
8.       Avoid generalities, be specific
9.       Do not give a travelogue, drunkalogue,or drugalogue
10.   Speak or write pictorially when possible
11.   Be brief – 3 to 5 minutes
12.   Emphasize point II-4
 II. Suggested outline to follow
1.       Who I am
a.       Name
b.      Background
c.       Present status
2.       My life before trusting Jesus
3.       Circumstances leading up to my trusting Christ
4.       What Jesus has and continues to mean in my life
a.       Forgiveness
b.      Love
c.       New perspectives
d.      Relief, freedom from anxiety and fear
e.      Friendship with Triune God
f.        Family (adoption)
g.       Fellowship
h.      Support

  As ambassadors for Christ being responsible for explaining reconciliation with God, let us be ever ready to give answer to all that ask the reason for the hope that lies within us as followers of Christ . . . going to church fellows, family, friend, acquaintance, and stranger telling them how great things the Lord, having great compassion, has done for us. (Mk.5:19; 2Cor.5:14-20; 1Pet.3:15)

EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment