Monday, February 6, 2017

PASTOR BOB RESPONDING

PASTOR BOB RESPONDING
Monday, February 06, 2017

  In my privilege and responsibility writing Daily Thoughts (DTs) I strive to honor and glorify God, emulating Jesus’ example. His example included being provocative. Yesterday’s DT, QUESTIONING GOD, included provocation in the questions presented, and slyly by an omission. The deliberate omission my leaving out “Job did so.” Both questions and omission were in the hope of generating thought and response from DT readers. Pastor Bob did so very quickly. In doing so he provoked me, and hopefully you.

“Job did so...
  Our hearts should be open before God and if we have questions, we should present them.  Wouldn't we want our children to come to us when they are hurting or confused?  But our questioning should be without presumption and always in faith.  That wasn't the case with Cain, Saul, and eventually, Job "lost his patience."  All were rebuked.  Job responded with repentance and God blessed him.
  Notice that nearly all the psalms of lament are done in the context of faith.  The complaint is voiced, but somewhere in the psalm there is usually the rejoinder "but."  "But I will trust....But I will praise."  Psalm 88 is the only lament that I can find that doesn't have that kind of faith expression.  Lament (questioning) is good when done in the context of faith.”

  Now, do you have any questions for God, Pastor Bob, me?

EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment