Sunday, February 12, 2017

P.T.L.

P.T.L.
Sunday, February 12, 2017

  Just as the world has passing fads, so does the church. Anybody remember WWJD bracelets? Or signing mail or saying PTL? These two and others were in then out of vogue. Sadly, when left the bracelets for some so went the sentiment and/or the useful principle.
  Both of the aforementioned are just as applicable past and present for they have solid basis in Scripture.

PTL, praise the Lord! In using Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance enabled by e-Sword we may discover there is much about PTL in His Word. I’ve chosen a favorite passage to share: Psalm 150 Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power. Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness. Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp. Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs. Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals. Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.  

WWJD, what would Jesus do? The implication being that once we discovered what Jesus did then we will emulate Him. Doing a web search I find http://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Imitating-Jesus listing ten relevant passages:
1 Peter 2:21 For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps,
Philippians 2:3-8 Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others. Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus.
who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.                2 Corinthians 3:18 But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit.
John 13:12-15 So when He had washed their feet, and taken His garments and reclined at the table again, He said to them, "Do you know what I have done to you? "You call Me Teacher and Lord; and you are right, for so I am. "If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet.
"For I gave you an example that you also should do as I did to you.                John 13:34 "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
John 15:9-11 "Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love. "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love. "These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full.
1 Corinthians 11:1 Be imitators of me, just as I also am of Christ.
1 John 2:6 the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked.
Ephesians 4:32 Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.
Colossians 3:13 bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you.

  Knowing these things, how now shall with live?

EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment