Wednesday, February 22, 2017

THE CHRIST FOLLOWERS RESPONSIBILITY

THE CHRIST FOLLOWERS RESPONSIBILITY
Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Philippians 2:12  Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

  Please do not be puzzled by or fearful of losing eternal salvation when reading Philippians 2:12. I had Christian friends that did so. As a novice Christian I was not puzzled by or fearful for. Why not?
  First of all I did as my wonderful mentors taught me. I read the verse in context beginning with 1:1 showing that the epistle was/is written to saints in and servants of Jesus Christ. The letter, though of value to, is not written to John 3:18 individuals.
  Secondly, again as taught, I examined 2:12 alone and noted “my beloved”; that it is singularly addressed to Christians.
  Thirdly I knew the Apostle Paul wrote to the saints serving Christ at Ephesus “Therefore I also, hearing of your faith in the Lord Jesus and love to all the saints, do not cease giving thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers, that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him, the eyes of your understanding being enlightened, that you may know what is the hope of His calling, and what is the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us, the ones believing according to the working of His mighty strength which He worked in Christ in raising Him from the dead, and He seated Him at His right hand in the heavenlies, far above all principality and authority and power and dominion, and every name being named, not only in this world, but also in the coming age. And He has put all things under His feet and gave Him to be Head over all things to the church, which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all. And He has made you alive, who were once dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now works in the children of disobedience; among whom we also had our way of life in times past, in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the thoughts, and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others. But God, who is rich in mercy, for His great love with which He loved us (even when we were dead in sins) has made us alive together with Christ (by grace you are saved), and has raised us up together and made us sit together in the heavenlies in Christ Jesus, so that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. For by grace you are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to good works, which God has before ordained that we should walk in them.“ (MKJV Eph.1:15-23; 2:1-10)
  Fourthly I understood it to be as was job assignments when I asked “What exactly do you want me to do.” and, they pointing at bookshelf, was told “I want you to work it out.”-- entrusting me with responsibility.
  Let us not confuse being a saint with our responsibility to work as saints before man and Jehovah God Almighty. Christian life begins with salvation, but does not end at that moment.
EBB4 

PS. Tomorrow I will share Albert Barnes Note on the Bible on Ephesians 2:12.


No comments:

Post a Comment