Tuesday, July 11, 2017

ADVERSITY IN PERSPECTIVE

ADVERSITY IN PERSPECTIVE
Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Psalm 25:1-4 [A Psalm of David.] To You, O Jehovah, I lift up my soul. O my God, I trust in You; do not let me be ashamed, let not my enemies triumph over me. Yea, let none who wait on You be ashamed; let them be ashamed who sin without cause. Make me know Your ways, O Jehovah; teach me Your paths.
Romans 8:14-18 [Paul explaining] For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. For you have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption by which we cry, Abba, Father! The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are the children of God. And if we are children, then we are heirs; heirs of God and joint-heirs with Christ; so that if we suffer with Him, we may also be glorified together. For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the coming glory to be revealed in us.

  The worldview of adversity (difficulties, hardships, danger, misfortune, harsh conditions) is typically negative, in one of or set of several ways.
·         As calamity, catastrophe, tragedy . . . disastrous.
·         UGH! Why me??!!
·         Always about me.
·         Puzzling.
·         Something other individuals and groups deserve.
·         Sorrowfully when happening to loved ones . . . or those we idolize.
·         Gleefully when happening to enemies or those we’re not exactly fond of.
·         Always stressful.
·         Nonchalant, detached, indifferent, unflappable: “Whatever.” “S­­­___ happens.”
·         If not stressed by, person is considered weird
·         As opposition.
·         Always coming in threes. (My familial education from Grandmother McGee.)
·         Always from Satan.
·         Always as chastening from God.
·         Investing considerable anxiety as to whether from Satan, or God.
·         Destructive.
·         Highlighting manner or environment needing more law and regulation.
·         Ruination.
·         The common rule.
·         A fun challenge to be met and overcome.
·         A number of other gloomy points that I’m sure others can add. (Please do!)
  My negative viewpoints changed wonderfully in and by God’s maturation through Romans 12:1-3 rethinking as the result of reading, studying, and application of His Word.
  I think the first lessons were understanding and accepting that all adversity as not aimed at me. God makes His sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. (Mt.5:45) This includes warm delightful sunshine on a cold day, and instances of scorching heat while working on broken hot machinery in shade-less dry dusty field. And then there are rain storms that I didn’t dance in but hunkered down in boat while on the Chesapeake Bay.
  Next came accepting the truth that if I’m going to grow it will not happen on flowery beds of ease or mirror smooth waters; my Lord’s training grounds often include adversity.
  How else shall we ever meet our appointment to conform to the image of Christ? (Rom.8:13-29; 12:1-3)

  Please know this: Conforming to worldly wrong-headed perspective is the more serious adversity.   EBB4 (March 3, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment