Thursday, July 27, 2017

LEGACY: A FINAL ALTAR CALL GIVEN

LEGACY: A FINAL ALTAR CALL GIVEN
Thursday, July 27, 2017

Hebrews 9:27-27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.
Revelation chapter 21  And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. … And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.

  One of the things I don’t particularly care for in my elder days is I read or receive 1 to 3 death notices per week; family, friends, acquaintances, coworkers, and classmates. Last week it was classmate Chunky Clouser and friend Doyle Gustafson plus an Omaha fellow employee. This morning is yet another announcement, high school classmate Dora Lucille Bosley, 11/28/1936 – 7/19/17.
  The joke is that old people daily read the obituaries to see if their name is there yet. I do however have a more serious intent. First of all to see if someone I know passed so I may schedule going to their funeral or celebration of life. Secondly, with purpose to read of and learn from the lives of others. Thirdly, I suspect it has something to do with mortality consciousness.
  Some I’ve read: “a good mother”, “lifelong avid team fan”, “enjoyed _______”, “dedicated volunteer”, “exceptional bowler”, “loved motorcycles” (This one at times ironic.), “dependable friend” and other brief life summarizing descriptions of such ilk.
  And then this morning the exceptional “Together both Barbara and her husband, Walter, gave their hearts over to Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and entered into a personal relationship of hope for eternity. They expressed love and concern for family members to have the same hope that only Jesus Christ can provide.”
  When my or your obituary is read what will it say of us? Far more importantly than the local newspaper or an internet notice is what will be written “in the Lamb’s book of life”, or not? (Rev.21:17; Phil4:3; Rev.3:5; 1:8; 17:8; 20:12, 15; 22:19)
EBB4

PS. I’m leaving this directive for my family to include in my obituary an appeal to the Acts 4:12 truth that Lord Jesus Christ as the one and only Redeemer.

No comments:

Post a Comment