Thursday, March 30, 2017

HASTINESS

HASTINESS
Thursday, March 30, 2017

Romans [MKJV 15:1-7 Then we who are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves. Let every one of us please his neighbor for his good, to building up. For even Christ did not please Himself; but as it is written, "The reproaches of those who reproached You fell on Me." For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, so that we through patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope. And may the God of patience and consolation grant you to be like minded toward one another according to Christ Jesus, so that with one mind and one mouth you may glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore receive one another as Christ also received us, to the glory of God.

  This morning I read that Nebraska Governor Pete Rickets signed into law requirement that “people who quit their jobs without just cause to [must] re-qualify for unemployment benefits through subsequent employment before they are eligible to receive payments.” Quit sans qualifying reason and suffer loss and receive no unemployment benefits. Though I have never even considered such action, this is something I have observed others commit. I have however been impatient and hasty in other ways. Thusly reminded this morning, brought me to again pondering the following thoughts.
  A major goal I continue to work on is thoughtfulness in connecting all things having to do with life and death with and in God’s Word; the thoughtfulness that does not rush to conclusions or decisions always automatically following party, denominational or political, lines. Recently this effort was largely reflected in DT “I AM NOT A BAPTIST”. Which I am pleased to say is provocative both pro and con judging from readers’ reactions; some realizing and accepting who they are and what they are to be about first and foremost as believers, others defending their party.
  Reflecting on what once was of me, I see that I have gained in tribulation working patience; and patience, experience; and experience, hope: the hope that delivers me from shame; because the love of God is shed abroad in my heart by God’s Holy Spirit which has been gifted unto me. (Rom.5:3-5) But at times it is quite obvious to me, and others, yesterday for example, that I have not yet obtained the perfection that Jesus speaks of. (Mt.5:48)
  To further exercise (exorcise?) this morning I review the following from ISBE:

PATIENCE, n. pa'shens. [L. patientia, from patior, to suffer.]
1. The suffering of afflictions, pain, toil, calamity, provocation or other evil, with a calm, unruffled temper; endurance without murmuring or fretfulness. Patience may spring from constitutional fortitude, from a kind of heroic pride, or from christian submission to the divine will.
2. A calm temper which bears evils without murmuring or discontent.
3. The act or quality of waiting long for justice or expected good without discontent.
4. Perseverance; constancy in labor or exertion. He learnt with patience, and with meekness taught.
5. The quality of bearing offenses and injuries without anger or revenge.
6. Sufferance; permission. [Not used.]
7. A plant, a species of rumex of dock.

  And as to even point #7, shouldn’t I “be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see when heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit.“ ? (Jer.17:8) Be patient O’ my soul!

EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment