Wednesday, May 16, 2018

WHY SICKNESS?


WHY SICKNESS?
   Isaiah 55:6-9 Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
   Matthew 11:28-30 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

  I’ve been asked if God punishes us with sickness? The following is what I see from studying His Word, other Christian literature, discussion with Christ-centered Bible-oriented doctor, personal observation and experience.

1.       As pal Randy says, “Blame Adam.” Yes, Adam’s original sin cost him and we hereafter the surety of God’s initial design of eternal life. Adam died. Dying is a lifelong condition. Dying is a process that begins the day we are born. Dying is happening though we may not feel the sickness until it surfaces in some way. (Gen.2:15; Heb.9:27)
2.       We, Adam-like, continue in kind to sin, therefore further contributing to dying. (Rom.3:23; 5:12)
Our individual and communal lifestyles contribute to individual and communal dying.
3.       Some are afflicted for God’s assignation. (Jn.9:1-11)
4.       Sickness provides great opportunity for maturation. (Num.12:1-16; Ps.119:67, 71,75; Rom.8:28; Heb.12:5-11)
5.       Satan may afflict. Admittedly difficult for the afflicted to discern but nonetheless opportunity for insightful maturation. (Book of Job)
6.       God may afflict or give over to when resisting Him. (Gen.12:17; The plagues upon Egypt; Rom.1:28)
 
  We say “dying” when aware of. But actually we should be currently conscious of our and others mortality as a motivation to live pleasing to the Lord in consideration of others. (Rom.12:1-3) For the followers of Christ this attitude should be part of our Biblical modus operandi, for though dying unto death our citizenship in God’s kingdom is eternal. (Phil.3:20)
EBB4   Wednesday, May 16, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment