Thursday, August 2, 2018

JESUS ATTRACTS


JESUS ATTRACTS
Thursday, August 2, 2018

  In John 6:44 Jesus says God attracts men. In 12:32 Jesus stated that He would draw all men to Himself. This is confusing or controversial for some. First of all lets take a closer look at the two verses in various translations.
John 6:44
(ASV)  No man can come to me, except the Father that sent me draw him: and I will raise him up in the last day.
(CEV)  No one can come to me, unless the Father who sent me makes them want to come. But if they do come, I will raise them to life on the last day.
(ESV)  No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.
(GW)  People cannot come to me unless the Father who sent me brings them to me. I will bring these people back to life on the last day.
(ISV)  No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him to life on the last day.
(KJV)  No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
(KJV+)  No manG3762 canG1410 comeG2064 toG4314 me,G3165 exceptG3362 theG3588 FatherG3962 which hath sentG3992 meG3165 drawG1670 him:G846 andG2532 IG1473 will raise him upG450 G846 at theG3588 lastG2078 day.G2250
(LITV)  No one is able to come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him, and I will raise him up in the last day.
(MKJV)  No one can come to Me unless the Father who has sent Me draw him, and I will raise him up at the last day.
(Webster)  No man can come to me, except the Father who hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
(YLT)  no one is able to come unto me, if the Father who sent me may not draw him, and I will raise him up in the last day;
John 12:32
(ASV)  And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto myself.
(CEV)  If I am lifted up above the earth, I will make everyone want to come to me."
(ESV)  And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself."
(GW)  When I have been lifted up from the earth, I will draw all people toward me."
(ISV)  As for me, if I am lifted up from the earth, I will draw all people to myself."
(KJV)  And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.
(KJV+)  And I,G2504 ifG1437 I be lifted upG5312 fromG1537 theG3588 earth,G1093 will drawG1670 allG3956 men untoG4314 me.G1683
(LITV)  And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, I will draw all to Myself.
(MKJV)  And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, I will draw all to Myself.
(Webster)  And I, if I shall be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to me.
(YLT)  and I, if I may be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto myself.'

  In both verses we read “draw”.  In 6:44 we read Jesus speaking of the Father. In 12:32 we see Jesus Himself declaring “draw all”. Considering that Jesus is God Incarnate (Jn.1:1) I see no contradiction or confusion.
  “draw” in both verses is the same Greek word: to drag or draw literally or figuratively. (Strong’s G1670)
  The Greek “all” in 12:32 meaning: all, any, every, the whole … throughly, whatsoever, whole, whosoever. (G3956)
  Considering the context of God’s Word Jesus is not declaring that He will save all men; the unorthodox belief in universalism/inclusion. (ARE ALL EVENTUALLY GOING TO HEAVEN? 6/30/16)
To attract is quite different than to save, which requires agreeing with God about our sinfulness and thereby need for Jesus as Redeemer. This I see in reading the two verses in the immediate and greater context.
EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment