Sunday, August 5, 2018

PATRICK'S TESTIMONY


PATRICK’S TESTIMONY
Sunday, August 5, 2018

  11 years ago I met Steve, Patrick’s Dad. His ongoing testimony of faith continues to bless me and others. And now his son blesses us.
EBB4

  November 10th, 2017 will always be an important day in the history of my life. It started like many others. At 6 am I walked into a Jewel Osco in Homer Glen to buy my typical breakfast…a pint of vodka and two 20-oz diet 7-ups. I would have about an hour to drink before I had to be at work. Today was different though; I never made it to the office. There was no dramatic climax to speak of (car crash, police chase, etc.) Nonetheless, the feeling of conviction that I had been fighting for so many years finally took hold, and I surrendered. The life I had been living was no longer one that I wanted to bear, and I called my dad to reach out for help. More importantly, I let him know that I was actually ready to Accept Help. I knew where this would lead to long before I made the call. My dad came to Teen Challenge to save his life in 2006 and has been involved with the program in one way or the other ever since. I wasn’t 100% sure what TC was all about, but I knew that’s where I would be heading.
  That first night on the 4th floor I laid my bunk surrounded by 40 strangers and contemplated how awful my situation had become. Retracing the past several years trying to determine what I had done that was so terrible that in return I had to give up a year of my life to fix myself. What did I do!? Well, the question was not “What did I do” but rather: What did I stop doing…
  The Bible tells us that there is stern discipline for the one who leaves God’s path and that’s exactly what I had done. I was living life only for myself and I would help others only if it served my own purposes. At 32 years old I thought I had made it. I had a wife with a newborn; a great house and a wonderful career. God brought me to my knees though and I lost everything. I’ll spare most of the details of my addiction, but I will sum it up by saying that when I made promises, I broke them. I would lie, and tell lies to cover up those lies. I hurt the ones I loved. When my family needed me the most is when I would fall the hardest. I was truly living for myself, and I was miserable. I became hopeless, indifferent toward life. I didn’t care much whether I lived or died.
   Isaiah 53:6 tells us that we all, like sheep have gone astray. Each of us has turned our own way. But the verse finishes by saying that the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all. Jesus came before me to accept the consequences for my actions. He shouldered the blame for me. I truly believe that I deserve to be nailed to a cross- to be mocked, to be tortured, to spend eternity in Hell. That is more than a fitting punishment for the garbage I put my family through.
   At Teen Challenge, I have had the opportunity to experience God’s never-ending grace, forgiveness and patience. I submitted everything that I once thought important and in return, I’m receiving all that I will ever need. I have been restored through the love of God and I have a newfound hope for life. I wake up excited every day for what the future holds for me. It is wonderful to live life the way God intended. The sense of purpose is one that I could never have found on my own.
  So, I write this letter for a few reasons: Mainly, to let everyone know that I’m doing great and to thank my loved ones for their prayers and well wishes. Also, to thank those of you affiliated with Teen Challenge for your service. The program simply couldn’t function without former students giving back after completing themselves. I am also writing this to ask for your help. I am trying to raise $1,000 for the 2018 TC Golf Marathon. If you can help please provide your name, address and desired amount. Thanks in advance for anything you can do. God Bless!
Patrick C.

No comments:

Post a Comment