Sunday, June 16, 2019

A QUALIFIED RUNNER


A QUALIFIED RUNNER

1Corinthians 9:24-27 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

 I prefer these verses in New International Version or RSV because they use the contemporary word “disqualified” instead of the KJV “castaway”.
  Our son was good in track. His main event was the high hurdles. I tried to attend every meet and many times I have seen one boy or another “Jump the gun” and the race would have to be restarted. If the same boy did this more than twice he was disqualified and not allowed to run. I always felt sorry for that boy, but it would be much more terrible to be disqualified by God!
  Hebrews [GW] 12:1-4 Since we are surrounded by so many examples of faith, we must get rid of everything that slows us down, especially sin that distracts us. We must run the race that lies ahead of us and never give up. We must focus on Jesus, the source and goal of our faith. He saw the joy ahead of him, so he endured death on the cross and ignored the disgrace it brought him. Then he received the highest position in heaven, the one next to the throne of God. Think about Jesus, who endured opposition from sinners, so that you don't become tired and give up. You struggle against sin, but your struggles haven't killed you. [To better understand these 4 verses please read of the qualifying runners in Chapter 11.]
Leslie Nivens

No comments:

Post a Comment