Thursday, June 13, 2019

BINDLESTIFFING?


BINDLESTIFFING ALONG?
Thursday, June 13, 2019

  “bindlestiff” was one of Grandmother McGee’s colorful descriptive words. Especially disliked when spoken in my direction.
  A bindlestiff was and is a hobo that carries his few belongings in a bindle (bundle), in years past made up of bandana(s) on a stick carried over one’s shoulder, today backpack(s) and /or garbage bag(s). A hobo was and still is a homeless vagabond (From the Latin adjective vagabundus, “inclined to wander”), not always penniless for they work as needed.
  “Tramps” are quite different, also traveling, but working only when forced to.
  “Bums” are yet another group, neither working nor traveling from place to place.
  Among those that live by choice as hobo, tramp, or bum, there is common trait: abstaining from that which is commonly considered normal responsibility by our society. How easily can we snobbishly look downward on these people, thinking ourselves far superior in personage . . . when really I too have disdain for responsibility? Yes, there are times when I’m inclined not to do something or put it off; an attitude that at times has been cancelled by fears.
  Let us not think we are so wonderfully different.
  As Adam did not fulfill responsibility before God we all continue in the same vanity, the futility of pride.
  Let us hear King Solomon’s summation on the whole matter: “The words of the preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem. Vanity of vanities, says the preacher, vanity of vanities! All is vanity. What is the profit to a man in all his labor which he labors under the sun? A generation passes away, and a generation comes; but the earth remains forever. The sun also arises, and the sun goes down, and hurries to its place where it arose. The wind goes toward the south, and it turns around to the north; it whirls around continually; and the wind returns on its circuits. All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; to the place from where the rivers come, there they return again. All things are full of labor; man cannot utter it; the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing. That which has been is that which shall be; and that which has been done is that which shall be done; and there is nothing new under the sun. Is there a thing of which it may be said, See, this is new? It has already been in days of old, which were before us. There is no memory of former things, and also no memory of after things which shall be; for neither shall be a remembrance of them with those who will be at the afterwards. I the Preacher was king over Israel in Jerusalem. And I gave my heart to seek and search out by wisdom concerning all which is done under the heavens. It is a sad task God has given to the sons of men to be humbled by it. I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and, behold, all is vanity and vexation of spirit. What is crooked cannot be made straight; and that lacking cannot be numbered. I spoke within my own heart, saying, Lo, I have become great and have gathered more wisdom than all that have been before me in Jerusalem; yea, my heart has seen much of wisdom and knowledge. And I gave my heart to know wisdom and to know madness and folly; I know that this also is vexation of spirit. For in much wisdom is much grief; and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow. I said in my heart, Come now, I will test you with mirth; therefore consider and behold goodness; this also is vanity. I said of laughter, It is madness; and of mirth, What does it do? I sought in my heart to drag my flesh with wine, yet leading my heart with wisdom; and to lay hold on folly, until I might see where the good for the sons of men might be, what they should do under the heavens all the days of their life. I made my works great; I built houses for myself; I planted vineyards for myself. I made gardens and orchards for myself, And I planted trees in them, of all fruit. I made pools of water for myself, to water the forest shooting forth trees. I bought slaves and slave women, and sons of the house were mine; also livestock, a herd and a great flock were mine, above all that were before me in Jerusalem. I also gathered silver and gold to myself, and the treasure of kings and of the provinces. I got men singers and women singers for myself, and the delights of the sons of men, a wife and very many wives. ... Vanity of vanities, says the preacher; all is vanity. And more than that, the preacher was wise; he still taught the people knowledge. Yes, he listened, and looked, and set in order many proverbs. The preacher sought to find out pleasing words; and words of truth written by the upright. The words of the wise are like goads; yes, their collected words are like nails driven home; they are given from one Shepherd. And further, by these, my son, be warned: The making of many books has no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh. Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter. Fear God, and keep His commandments. For this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it is good, or whether evil.” (GW Ecclesiates)  EBB4    

No comments:

Post a Comment