Sunday, August 18, 2019

BECAUSE OF!


“FOR” OR “BECAUSE OF”

Mark 1:1-4 The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. As it is written in Isaiah the prophet, "Behold, I send my messenger before your face, who will prepare your way, the voice of one crying in the wilderness: 'Prepare the way of the Lord, make his paths straight,'" John appeared, baptizing in the wilderness and proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.

  I know a lot of people read this last verse and say it means baptism is necessary for salvation – they say that the word “for” means that you cannot be saved unless you are baptized. The word “for” can be translated “because I have …”
  I, and others, often say we are going to take a pill “for” our headache. Actually we take the pill because we have a headache – not to cause the headache. I was baptized because I was saved. Not to be saved.
Leslie Nivens

No comments:

Post a Comment