Wednesday, August 28, 2019

GLOAT NOT

GLOAT NOT
Wednesday, August 28, 2019

John 14:23-27 Jesus answered and said to him, If a man loves Me, he will keep My Word. And My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him. 24 He who does not love Me does not keep My Words, and the Word which you hear is not Mine, but the Father's who sent Me. 25 I have spoken these things to you, being present with you. 26 But the Comforter, the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send in My name, He shall teach you all things and bring all things to your remembrance, whatever I have said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

  Is there joy in seeing individuals and groups fail?
  Having been there, still an observer, and occasionally regressed, obviously yes.
  I stop for a moment to recall my first conscious gloating. Two readily came to mind: When the elementary playground school bully fell to the ground sniveling after a solid cane rap on his ankle by Mr. Bosley. But my first major period of gloating was in the WWII devastating destruction of the German and Japanese homelands.
  Refraining from gloating is a habit pleasing to God.
  It wasn’t until after trusting Lord Jesus Christ that I realized reveling in the failure of those I didn’t like or even hated was an emotionally compensating for my immature need for self-esteem; the lack of peaceful confidence in, through and by Him; His example, direction, and provision.
  I much prefer His solid ground this side of gloating’s unhealthy wallow. (Ps.40:2)
  I thank God, His Word written (2Tim.3:16-17) and Living (Jn.1:1; 14:16-27) for redeeming (Eph.2:1-5) me and family. (Jn.1:12)
  Go to any dictionary or thesaurus and it will explain gloating in limited fashion. Study God’s Word and we discover gloating is based in fear; the lack of love and peace. “There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear, because fear has torment. He who fears has not been perfected in love.” (1Jn.4:18)
  Though gloat does rhyme with float, it does not do so. It sinks the soul of man. Beware the leadenness of gloating. 
EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment