Tuesday, August 27, 2019

ESSENTIAL DOCTRINE?


ESSENTIAL DOCTRINE?
Tuesday, August 27, 2019

  2Timothy chapter 3 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. … [with men] Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt concerning the faith. But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was. But thou hast fully known my [Paul] doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience, persecutions, afflictions, … evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived. But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; And that from a child thou hast known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works. (Incomplete text, Please read entire chapter.)

  Essential doctrine, really? I share today from conversations with professing Christians and leave you to consider:

Genesis record? You gotta be kidding! What tree did you fall out of?!

Yes, I’m a Christian. Do I believe in any virgin birth? No, I don’t.

Am I going to heaven? Sure am cause I’m trusting Jesus just like he said we must do. Do I believe he was God in a body here? Not. I believe God sent the guy to teach us how to live and be saved.

Yes I’m born-again. I still make mistakes, but I don’t sin like other people. Do I believe in the resurrection? Well, I’ve got some serious questions about that.

Holy Spirit? Nah, I don’t understand that stuff so I rely on good conscience.

Read the Bible every day? No, I don’t like to read, so I rely on God’s Holy Spirit to tell me what to do.

You bet I believe there’s evil in this world! Satan a real person? Nope, it’s just a representative example.

Heaven? Absolutely!! Hell? Well, yeah, maybe, but the Bible says God is love, so I don’t believe so.

Do I believe God preserved the veracity of the Bible. Not exactly . . . I find it helpful to me as a Christian but it’s full of contradictions don’t you know? Plus, there’s some things in there that I just can’t believe.

Truth? What is truth?? The Bible as a Christian’s utmost guide book? Uh uh.

John chapter 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not anything made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment