Thursday, July 18, 2019

WHY MY ABSTINENCE?


WHY MY ABSTINENCE?
Thursday, July 18, 2019

Proverbs [MKJV] 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging, and whoever goes astray by it is not wise.

  Thru the decades I’ve been asked why I don’t imbibe in the relaxation of alcohol, initially primarily by coworkers, then often by inmates. Though as a youth I tried alcohol (and smoking) to be accepted and cool, I soon decided not to continue and have so far done so to this day. After decided nay early on I was then pressed by some family members and friends with a “O’ come on, one beer won’t hurt, have a drink with me.” selling point. Why have I to this day refused?
  Initially because fearfully I didn’t like the levels of effect that I saw among family past and present imbibers plus I wanted the money for other things. Then loving Ann and our children I held fast. Additionally, I discovered I don’t need help to relax.
  After trusting Christ as Redeemer at age 27 other reasons were added: I didn’t want alcohol (or possibly drugs) to interfere with my desire for wisdom. Plus by then ministering to inmates and others with the problem I knew it would have been poor testimony weakening whatever influence I have.
  Am I condemning those that imbibe? Definitely not, I’m before God and you explaining my decision and reminding myself and you that He is the final judge; until our day of death we individually being responsible for how and where we invest our lives.
EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment