Friday, October 13, 2017

A CONTINUING TALE OF DECEPTION

A CONTINUING TALE OF DECEPTION
Friday, October 13, 2017

  One of the earliest accounts in Scripture is about deception in opposition to security. (Gen.3) Since then hoaxing has not only continued. It has become more sophisticated and common. Hoaxing does however have unchanged denominator central to its workings: false reporting aimed at emotional desires good and bad. The following report on deception, though an inept attempt, illustrates how fraudsters use our emotions as did the wily serpent Satan.
  He sounded frantic, almost in tears. “Granpa, I need your help.” He explained that his voice sounded different because his nose was broken plus other facial injuries. He said he is under arrest in New York City. In changing lanes he collided with a vehicle driven by a Central American female diplomat. She is near death.
  In the immediate he feared rape from one of the obviously rough men in the bull pen - in the future, worse. A public defender assigned to him had worked out a deal with the diplomats’ people. For their own unexplained reasons they didn’t want the publicity, so for $4,000 they would make it go away and he would be released. In a closely joined number of calls they said all I had to do to quickly facilitate his release, repeating rape fear, is purchase that amount of gift cards at Target then read them the code numbers. I was not to tell anyone else because if I did the confidentiality contract he signed would be null and void and the deal between he, the lawyer, diplomats, and N.Y. police would be off.
  Admittedly I initially emotionally allowed myself to be influenced, but caution prevailed. Contrary to his pressure of repeated calls for action I insisted that due to my diabetes I must eat lunch before doing as he asked.
  I dined, and called one of my 3 wise and knowledgeable daughters, she a now retired police officer with many years training and experience. We discussed the inconsistencies and contradictions in the conversations with grandson and lawyer. Dawn said “Don’t.” I agreed. Soon thereafter she texted me azcentral consumer report “Mexico bail scam nearly costs grandparents $1,900” Though I jotted down a number of clues, the word “Granpa” instead of “Papa” alerted them.
  Oddly, when grandson phoned for the gift card codes and I told him no deal . . . his voice calmed and he terminated conversation saying “You are a wise man.”
  Dawn explained that these scammers gather useful info from readily accessible social media. They also go thru your trash finding relatable info. (I’ve shredded ever since equipment available. Prior to I burned all such info. I encourage destruction by tool or firepit.)
  And yes, this sort of thing is part and parcel of serving him all our days.
EBB4


No comments:

Post a Comment