Thursday, October 26, 2017

THE NOT SO OBVIOUS IN ENGLISH

THE NOT SO OBVIOUS IN ENGLISH
Thursday, October 26, 2017

Genesis [MKJV] 12:2  And I will make you a great nation. And I will bless [ ] you and make your name great. And you shall be a blessing [  ].

  Last evening in Pastor John’s class I was again reminded that understanding Scripture in English is not always so obvious.
  As he was teaching about the ongoing presence of God he led us to read of God’s promise to Abraham recorded in chapter 12 of Genesis. Curious about “bless” and “blessing” in verse 2 I searched Hebrew meanings and discovered that though the “bless” is about receiving and “blessing” is about dispensing there is further distinction within Abraham’s tale. I fell asleep mulling and awoke this morning still thinking of our responsibility as God’s John 1:12 children to receive . . . and dispense while doing so.
  Commonly it is happy occasion to receive God’s favor, but not entirely; testing is typically involved. When agreeing to His provision it may be emotionally stressful. It may be like joyful deliverance and then being confronted by the Red Sea.
  WHAT, leave home . . . family, friends, culture and geography accustomed to and loving . . . and go to a new unfamiliar setting?! And while doing so share your prosperity with others that don’t want you there? When I read of Abraham I do identify with him. Though in 1984 God definitely favored me and my dependent family it was not a care free comfy transition.
  Why read of Abraham? Why remember our similar experiences? To learn, trust, and be fortified as citizens of the kingdom of heaven pleasing the King, that’s why.
Amen?

EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment