Wednesday, October 25, 2017

FROM ANGST TO FREEDOM IN GOD'S GLAD SERVICE

AWAY WITH ANGST!

Dear fellow travelers,
This morning I awoke with no DT in mind, so I busied myself for awhile but still zilch. Decided to utilize the time to review history to see where I’ve grown and add recent steps to my record for future reference in accountability to God, self, and you. as happens the effort became much more involved than thought it would be. Please feel free to comment or question.
Edwin Bennett Bullock 4th 10/25/17

  I’ve been asked to share personal testimony on my developing and continuing release from worry to peace. The following are the main event and action points. They are not in any particular order so far as original edifying conviction and application, nor are they an in-order check-off list as God continues the work in my daily sojourn. Please understand that a basic belief I hold to is God’s Word is authentically His and has complete instruction on how to live eternally and presently while remaining this side of heaven. I am responsible to learn and implement His written direction. God will not force me to do so nor will Satan and company force me not to do so.

·         I accomplished nothing on my own by personal strength, fortitude, or intelligence. I had to accept the truth that I am weak! The mix included wise experienced people, His Holy Spirit, studying God’s Word. Matthew 26:41 “Stay awake, and pray that you won't be tempted [Greek: Tested by adversity.]. You want to do what's right, but you're weak." (Mk.14:38) 2Corinthians 12:9 But he told me: "My kindness is all you need. My power is strongest when you are weak." So I will brag even more about my weaknesses in order that Christ's power will live in me.
 
·         Relinquishing my anti-authority attitude is necessary. (One constant reminder is my life verses, Ps.32:8-9) Luke 11:2 Jesus told them, "When you pray, say this: Father, let your name be kept holy. Let your kingdom come. (Mt.6:10) God’s will be done!

·         Knowing that I am not going to always agree with God, but must accept that He is ultimately infinitely Omni Sovereign and that of myself I am definitely finitely human. Isaiah 55:8-9 "My thoughts are not your thoughts, and my ways are not your ways," declares the LORD. "Just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways, and my thoughts are higher than your thoughts."

·         I changed my thinking about true worship.  I realized that worship isn’t just a church thing. Worship is a life of “Not me, Him!” When I would worry and be stressed it was all centered in me, not God, plus a whole lot of not others. I wanted everything to run the way I thought it should. This was and easily could be again a matter of pride. Stress and worry meant I was worshipping Edwin Bennett Bullock 4th, not God. When my focus began shifting (and continues as a daily work) my burden lightened and I enjoy freedom and peace. Romans 12:1-3 Brothers and sisters, in view of all we have just shared about God's compassion, I encourage you to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, dedicated to God and pleasing to him. This kind of worship is appropriate for you. Don't become like the people of this world. Instead, change the way you think. Then you will always be able to determine what God really wants-what is good, pleasing, and perfect. Because of the kindness that God has shown me, I ask you not to think of yourselves more highly than you should. Instead, your thoughts should lead you to use good judgment based on what God has given each of you as believers.

·         I accepted responsibility for my detrimental thought habits and changed my thinking to realign with
         godly guidance laid out in Philippians 4:4-8 Always be joyful in the Lord! I'll say it again: Be joyful!   
         Let everyone know how considerate you are. The Lord is near. Never worry about anything. But in
        every situation let God know what you need in prayers and requests while giving thanks. Then God's
        peace, which goes beyond anything we can imagine, will guard your thoughts and emotions through
        Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers and sisters, keep your thoughts on whatever is right or deserves  
        praise: things that are true, honorable, fair, pure, acceptable, or commendable.

·         I was informed by a trusted experienced fellow that “Worry is a matter of pride!”  Romans 12:3
         This is something I must often be reminded of.

·         I learned that stress and worry very much involves taking on more responsibility than God intends for me. 1Corinthians 10:12-13 Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall. No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

·         I discovered Biblical self-acceptance is not anything like self-esteem; they’re in conflict.
         Satan hates humans because we are made in the image of God. Genesis 1:26-27 Then God said,
        "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the   
        sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every   
        creeping thing that creeps on the earth." So God created man in his own image, in the image of God
        he created him; male and female he created them.

·         I was gifted with a copy of BOUNDARIES; When to Say YES; When to Say NO by Dr. Henry Cloud & Dr. John Townsend. I read it carefully and thoughtfully and began applying the truth therein having to do with boundaries or lack thereof spiritually, mentally, emotionally, physically.

·         A main precept shift for me was accepting His ownership in broad life terms beyond list of dos and don’ts. Psalm 118:24 This is the day the LORD has made. Let's rejoice and be glad today! 1Corinthians 6:20 You were bought for a price. So bring glory to God in the way you use your body.

·         When I sense onus, shift the load asap. 1Peter 5:7 Turn all your anxiety over to God because he cares for you.

·         To continue changing the way I think so I can best determine the right thing to do. Romans 12:1-3; 1Peter 5:8  Keep your mind clear, and be alert. Your opponent the devil is prowling around like a roaring lion as he looks for someone to devour.

·         Understanding I’m not by any means the special target that I thought I was.1Peter 5:9  Be firm in the faith and resist him, knowing that other believers throughout the world are going through the same kind of suffering.

·         Standing firm is my responsibility. Hebrews 3:6 Christ is faithful over God's house as a son. And we are his house if indeed we hold fast our confidence and our boasting in our hope. 1Peter 5:6-7 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. Be sober-minded; be watchful.

·         Knowing the truth and living freely without guilt and fear. John 8:31-32, 36 So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, "If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." ... So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. Psalm 139:23-24 Examine me, O God, and know my mind. Test me, and know my thoughts. See whether I am on an evil path. Then lead me on the everlasting path. 2Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves to see whether you are still in the Christian faith. Test yourselves! Don't you recognize that you are people in whom Jesus Christ lives? Could it be that you're failing the test?

·         Living a confessional life without guilt and fear. 1John 1:8-9 If we say, "We aren't sinful" we are deceiving ourselves, and the truth is not in us. God is faithful and reliable. If we confess our sins, he forgives them and cleanses us from everything we've done wrong.

·         Understanding the truth about patience and working to apply it in every situation. Romans 12:12-18 Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight. Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Galatians 6:9 ... let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.

·         Understanding and accepting that His peace and world’s peace is very different and in opposition. John 14:27;16:32-33  [Jesus explained] Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. ... Behold, the hour is coming, indeed it has come, when you will be scattered, each to his own home, and will leave me alone. Yet I am not alone, for the Father is with me. I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world."

·         Understanding and accepting that joy is far above and beyond happenings. 1Peter 1:6-9 In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

·         Stay away from brush fires. 2Timothy 2:4 No soldier gets entangled in civilian pursuits, since his aim is to please the one who enlisted him.

·         I’m God’s priestly ambassador and am to confidently act accordingly. 1Peter 2:9-12 ... you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. Once you were not a people, but now you are God's people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy. Beloved, I urge you as sojourners and exiles to abstain from the passions of the flesh, which wage war against your soul. Keep your conduct among the Gentiles honorable, so that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day of visitation. 2Corinthians 5:16-20 From now on, therefore, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we once regarded Christ according to the flesh, we regard him thus no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.

·         Radiate morality. 2Peter 1:2-9 May grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord. His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire. For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love. For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For whoever lacks these qualities is so nearsighted that he is blind, having forgotten that he was cleansed from his former sins.

·         Live enthusiastically by faith. Nehemiah 8:10b ... do not be grieved, for the joy of the LORD is your strength. 2Corinthians 5:6-7 So we are always of good courage. We know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord, for we walk by faith, not by sight.1Thessalonians 5:16 Rejoice always

·         Strive for orderliness. (Am still striving.) 1Corinthians 14:40 But all things should be done decently and in order.

·         Continue seeking. Matthew 7:7-10 "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? (Lk.11:9-13)


EBB4

No comments:

Post a Comment