Thursday, October 5, 2017

INFLUENCE

INFLUENCE
Thursday, October 05, 2017

   Matthew [ESV] 15:16-20  And he [Jesus] said, "Are you also still without understanding? Do you not see that whatever goes into the mouth passes into the stomach and is expelled? But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person. For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander. These are what defile a person. But to eat with unwashed hands does not defile anyone."
   1Corinthians 13  … When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known. …

  What I think (believe) determines how I act. Commentator Albert Barnes defines it “as he is all along in his heart, so is he (at last) in act.” (Pr.23:7; 27:19)
  This begins and consummates finally in knowing I am responsible for deciding what I believe; I alone determine who or what influences me.
  To illustrate: As a boy I was molested 3 times. I could have decided as some do to agree with letting it define me and thereby affect my outlook and actions pertaining to God, Satan, life and people. This is just as true with all experiences whether bad or good. I decided early on that those dreadful events do not and will not define who I am. One blessed product of refusing dreadful influence is that decades later sans resentment or rancor I was privileged to one-on-one biblically mentor incarcerated child molesters.
  Satan and his sad crowd cannot make me believe or do anything.
  God and His glad company cannot make me believe or do anything.
  As in the beginning with Adam and Eve this truth is shown: We decide who or what influences us as to what we actually believe and how we act. The first couple opted for Satan’s influence. We too often do the same and like them suffer unpleasant consequences.
  This day is and will be no different. Experienced events and opportunities will reflect if I truly believe I am responsible, not circumstances, not others, not Satan, not God.
EBB4


Thought question: In what ways does believing you are responsible for yourself affected your life in the past, now, and ongoing? 

No comments:

Post a Comment